Monday, November 20, 2006

Nevada town bans foreign flags

It seems that a small town in Nevada has decided to do away with another part of the consitution and ban the display of foreign flags unless flown beneath the American flag. I'll leave the article to stand for itself, but want to reiterate the author's final statement as it's something I find myself in strong agreement with:
At moments like this, I barely recognize my own country. Americans confronted slavery, the Great Depression, the Third Reich, and racial injustice here at home. Now some of us tremble at the sight of a piece of cloth. How sad. We're a bigger people than that. Even if some of us, now and then, tend to forget it.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

I used to fly a flag outside my house with a picture of a lighthouse on it. There's no room on the flagpost for two flags. Would be be illegal in Nevada? I'd have to see the text. I might have to run the text by my lawyer. I might have to get a law firm, and then run it by them.

Anonymous said...

The issue is sovereignty; there's nothing like compounding Constitutional ignorance. Stick to star-gazing.

Anonymous said...

actually, the flag regulations do require that the US flag be flown higher than any foreign flag as a matter of national soveriegnty -- it doesn't say foreign flags may *not* be flown. i am very unhappy with the state of our union and the national zeitgeist these days, but the regulation is not unreasonable. perhaps the zeal with which it is enforced is unreasonable though.

Anonymous said...

What happens if someone flys a flag which USED to belong to a country, but doesn't any more?
Or a flag which belongs to a country, but which is not internationally used?

I can think, immediately, of two examples of the first, and three examples of the second:
ONE: The confederate flag, and the flag of Nazi Germany.
TWO: England, Scotland, Wales - as opposed to the "Union" flag.

Could produce some interesting reactions!

Rocket said...

The issue is sovereignty; there's nothing like compounding Constitutional ignorance. Stick to star-gazing.