Sunday, June 11, 2006

Astronomy Internship - Day 2

Last night my roomate for the next few months, Ping, arrived. He's from San Jose State University.

Woke up at 8 this morning to get breakfast. Upon heading to breakfast we discovered that the meal plan didn't kick in till dinner. So Ping and I headed to McDonalds. Afterwards we explored the campus a bit and found the building I'll be spending my time in this summer.

The campus here is quite nice. There looked like quite a few places I'd like to get better pictures of, but I only managed to snap a few today.





After killing some time, we headed out to Target to get a few provisions given that I couldn't fit much in a suitcase and a duffel bag. So I got a few cups as well as some paper, soda, and snacks.

I have to admit that I was rather amused that the Target was two stories. To get the carts from one level to another, they had these magical cart escalators:



Our next stop was walking around a mall in downtown San Diego. Unlike the malls back home, the ones here are apparently open air. In good weather it's quite nice but I don't expect it's too pleasant in a thunderstorm, especially on the top level that doesn't have a covered walkway.

I didn't end up buying anything, although I found something I dearly wanted:



On the way home we drove by the wharf and I found a pirate ship.



Later we headed to dinner. The view from that dining hall was quite nice.



Although the selection was dismal (Veal Parmesan or Blackened Chicken) it was quite good (I had the veal). I have to say though, the best part was the dessert.



So for the rest of tonight I'll be doing is most likely sitting around and reading. Tomorrow morning we'll be meeting with the other members of the program and figuring out exactly how things will work.

2 comments:

Don Sheffler said...

You:
"Unlike the malls back home, the ones here are apparently open air. In good weather it's quite nice but I don't expect it's too pleasant in a thunderstorm..."

Me:
"Thun - der - storm... ?"

Two years ago San Diego didn't record a single drop of rain from April 1 to October 4. That's 6 months, 3 days. Last year was similar.

Jon Voisey said...

Wait... you mean the weather is perfect like this all the time?

Man, I think I know where I'm going to grad school....