Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Where's the cream filling?

Following a link from RSR this morning, I discovered this article about a creationist conference in Dallas. According to the article, there was "nearly a full day of research reports from scientists who support the Biblical or "young earth" account of creation."

I think that the creationists claims that they're getting short changed by the media must be right because, out of "nearly a full day" of what I'm sure is solid evidence, the article casually mentions a single one (C14 has a short half life), which can be easily refuted by a quick stop by the Talk Origins archive.

And of course they would have to selectively pull out the single logical fallacy that the creationism movement has ever made (because God knows, aside from this one mistake, creationism is perfect, being inspired by God and all):
"What they would say is this C-14 must be the result of contamination," he said. "If pressed to demonstrate that suggestion, they are unable to do that."
The logical fallacy being used? Good ole bifurcation and implying that not being able to prove every single niggling detail on demand somehow invalidates the whole theory. And I suppose it's also a logical fallacy that they do ignore such studies. Oh well. If you're going to ruin creationism's good track record with logical fallacies, you might as well do three at once just to show how great creationists are at everything they do, like screwing up.

The article also notes that a new diploma mill "online graduate education and professional development program" is in the works. I suppose that's good. Perhaps when there's some more qualified preachers creation scientists, they can explain to me some of this evidence that the horrible news media left out!

I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a book that was sent to me some time ago -Geocentricity, Gerardus D. Bouw, Ph.D. Association for Biblical Astronomy, Cleveland, 1992. Much of the "science" of these folks is not exactly new - dare I say that there is not much new under (or going around) the sun.

Steve Case said...

I have a book that was sent to me some time ago -Geocentricity, Gerardus D. Bouw, Ph.D. Association for Biblical Astronomy, Cleveland, 1992. Much of the "science" of these folks is not exactly new - dare I say that there is not much new under (or going around) the sun.