Friday, July 28, 2006

Astronomy Internship - Day 46

Turns out that there was a good reason that star was missing from our list. It turns out that it wasn't in any list we'd produced. Apparently, Dr. Twarog's program was overzealous in its cutting of stars and trimmed our list down to around 500 when we should have had closer to 1,000.

She's fixed the problem, but it means I'm going to have to redo the calibrations for the filters to put everything on the standard system. That took me three days to do last time, but I was able to redo everything today now that I knew what I was doing.

However, it also means that we're probably going to have a bunch more stars coming up here to make light curves for. Given that we roughly doubled the number of stars, that should put our total variable candidates around 40-50. But I'll identify those tomorrow.

No comments: